Finance Blog


FSSAI Registration FAQ

, / 486 0

FSSAI registration is one of the licenses you need to acquire if you’re setting up a food business. It’s an important license because it helps your business to increase reputation and to gain profit. But if you’re new to the industry, here are some helpful answers to your frequently asked questions.

What is a food license?

Food license is also known as FSSAI registration is a government certificate that recognizes the existence of any food-related businesses.

What type of businesses that require FSSAI registration?

All food business operators are required to file a FSSAI registration. The business types include manufacturers, traders, wholesalers, retailers, suppliers, re-packers and transporters. Those businesses under the importer and exporter category are also required to get the license.

What are the documents required?

For the basic registration, you need to prepare the following:

  • Photo ID (government issued)
  • FBO photo
  • Copy of Signature (scanned)

For state license and central license, you need to prepare the following:

  • Photo ID (government issued)
  • FBO photo
  • Copy of Signature (scanned)
  • Blue Print of Processing Unit & Equipment/Machinery
  • Production unit photograph
  • Address proof issued by Government authority
  • List of food products
  • Partnership Deed/Affidavit of Proprietorship/MOA&AOA
  • NOC & Copy of License from manufacturer (mandatory for re-labelers and re-packers only)
  • Proof for turnover or self-declaration of number of vehicles (for transporter)
  • Scanned Copy of Signature
  • Declaration Form
  • List of Directors with full address and contact
  • Proof of possession of premises


(1) State license and central license for trading requires the requirements above except for Blue Print of Processing Unit & Equipment/Machinery, Production unit photograph and Proof for turnover or self-declaration of number of vehicles (for transporter)

(2) The central license for trading and manufacturing also require requirements for importer and exporter.

What are the types of license to acquire?

The license types depend on the annual turnover of the business. If a business has an annual turnover below Rs. 12 Lac, it can acquire the basic registration. However, if the business has an annual turnover of between Rs. 12 Lac to Rs. 20 Cr and more than Rs. 20 Cr, the business should acquire the state license and the central license, respectively.

How does the licensing process works?

The licensing process begins when you start planning your business. Then you must identify the business turnover to understand your license type. After identifying your license type, the completion of document process is the next step.

When you completed the document process, it’s time to pay for the government challan. Then you must submit the documents in the designated offices. The inspection process will be the next step. The follow-up and license completion is the last step of the process.

Can I operate on multiple stores using one license?

For each store, you must apply for a separate license. The location and annual turnover for each store remain the basis for acquiring the license. So, it’s better that you have an accurate financial book to serve as a reference for your license.


Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.