There are hundreds of auto accidents in the U.S. every day. Every time you get behind the wheel you are literally taking your life in your hands. Even if you are an excellent driver, you always have to worry about the other guy. Fortunately, most car accidents only result in damage to the vehicles or other property damage. But it’s also true that auto accidents are one of the top causes of injury and death in America. If you are involved in a car accident, it’s important that you retain the services of an experienced car accident attorney in New York.
The Sad Toll of Auto Accidents
According to a study by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, in 2014 the were more than 29,000 fatalities from auto accidents, and a shocking 2.35 million Americans were injured, a large percentage of them seriously.
These statistics vary greatly from one region to another, due to factors such as the number of cars on the road, and whether it’s an urban or rural environment. But the fact is, whenever you’re in a motor vehicle, you’re at risk of injury or sudden death. If you do have an accident, you need to know what to do to ensure your safety and to protect your rights.
Know What To Do When An Accident Happens
- Be prepared. Invest in a emergency kit, including road flares, reflective orange triangles and orange cones, a flashlight with extra batteries, and a first aid kit. Keep it in your trunk at all times, and make sure your smartphone is charged up.
- Call 911. The first thing to do is to determine if anyone is injured, including yourself. Even if there are no injuries and it’s just a fender bender with minimal damage, you should still file a police report for the insurance company.
- Exchange insurance and contact information. Make sure this information is accurate. This information will be accessible from the police report also. You should also write down their license plate number.
- Take pictures. Use your smartphone to take photos of the damage to the vehicles, and it’s important to document any injuries. Photographic evidence is essential if you pursue a personal injury lawsuit with a car accident attorney in New York.
- Send notification to your insurance company. Do this as soon as possible after the accident. Be honest and provide every detail, no matter how trivial it may seem.
- Consult with an experienced personal injury attorney. The primary thing is to make sure you and the other people involved in the accident are safe. The next most important thing is to retain an attorney, to protect your rights, and to ensure that you receive the compensation you deserve.
If you’ve been involved in an accident in the New York City metropolitan area or the surrounding regions, especially if you or someone you know has been injured, contact the experienced attorneys at the Dearie Law Firm for a free and confidential consultation.